Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Prayer Warriors

During midweek prayer sessions we have been studying alot about the different prayers of bible characters like Abraham, Jacob . . . The depth and intimacy of each prayer is truly amazing. The way that each character communicated with God showed how close they were to Him and how devoted they were. I've just been thinking about my prayers and how sometimes I feel like they can be monotonous. Sometimes it makes me question my relationship with God. Lately I've been praying the prayer of Jabez. Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request." 1 Cronicles 4:10 It is a simple bold prayer but it works. If you believe in Him and trust Him he will bless you greatly. I've been praying this prayer because I needed God to provide for a way to minister to my patients.

Work has been going well but lately I have been wanting to make it a point to get to know my patients well. Its crazy because I usually only have one hour with each patient. I have to find creative ways to get a conversation started especially about God and their spiritual life. It has been quite a challenge for me because I don't want to come off as nosey or pushy. From what I can tell from each patient is that there is always something stressful going on in their life. To be able to share and connect with them is amazing. It is even more amazing to actually have a conversation about God and their spiritual life. So today I stepped out of my comfort zone and asked a patient if there was anything that I could pray for him about. He looked at me and didn't even hesitate to ask for prayer for him and his family. The economy in Saipan isn't doing to well and money has been tight. They have been struggling with finances. We just talked more about his faith in God and what he believes. I just felt God's presence today at work and it just reminded me again . . . why I am here.

No comments: