Monday, January 22, 2007

Women's Ministry: Music For The Heart and Soul

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Matthew 18:20 KJV

During our first meeting, Women’s Ministry voted to visit with patients at CHC hospital once a month. We had our first outing this past Saturday. First off I wanted to thank everyone who gave up a couple of hours of their Sabbath to come out and bring these patients good cheer. Thank you also to Grant for playing the guitar for us while WM sang.

I think there is something about music that can touch places in your heart that you never knew existed. It has the power to change you, to inspire you, and to heal you.

We visited about 10 patients in their room singing and praying for them. About 90% of Saipan is Catholic so I wasn’t really sure how patients would respond to the Seventh-day Adventist Church being there. Overall the response was amazing and I really feel that God was with us when we ministered to these patients. I think there is something about hospitals that breakdown the barriers we hold against eachother and God. Hospitals remind me of sin and suffering and how there is still a great need to reach out to those in need of comfort, in need of encouragement, and in need of hope.

Seeing patients who could barely move gave me flashbacks of when my dad was in the hospital when he suffered his stroke. It’s a feeling of helplessness and uncertainty. I think that being with families and sharing the message of Jesus gives them hope and comfort. It is an amazing feeling that no matter what our differences are in religion, we can still come together and pray for one another.

No comments: