Monday, April 30, 2007

Plenty Turtles, Neh!


It was a spur of the moment kind of thing. Angelo invited me to watch the Division of Fish and Wildlife release some hatchlings into the ocean before sunset. Where? I won't tell you since there are some locals that hunt for these Green Sea Turtle eggs for dinner. Cinta and some the Kaipat clan later joined us.

There were a total of one hundred and six eggs on the beach. Some hatched before we got there, nine were dead, BUT fifteen were still in the nest! They were wild and all over the place. We watched all of them scramble towards the ocean some climbing on top of one another in a frenzy. One big herd heading for the deep blue sea to start their new life. Will they survive on their own? I don't know. I hope so. It was my first time to experience this and I'm so lucky that I got to see it first hand.

I read Mai's blog this afternoon and she talks about all the other missionaries leaving Saipan to continue on with their life as they pursue their dreams. We started the year together and now . . . it's time to say goodbye. This happens every year at the SDA School. A team of Student Missionaries come out to teach at the school for a year and then most will leave. It seems as if Saipan is a transition stage for most. I think it is a transition stage for me. Being here has taught me to lean on God when there is no way out and there is no one left. It has made me stronger as a Christian and as an individual.

Who knows when we will see each other again. All I know is that the memories and friendships I have made here in Saipan will last a lifetime. Though we are all going our seperate ways I know that God will take care of us. Living in Saipan continually reminds me to keep trusting in God . . . though I cannot see what is ahead. I know that He has great plans for me and those who believe in Him. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

2 comments:

Sean said...

I trust you'll be blogging from vacation!

We wann hear all about it.

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a cool night. I'd give anything to see those little turtles hitting the waves. Once in a life time experience. Cherish it. That's the cool thing about Saipan. Great things are always just around the corner.