Sunday, November 25, 2007

Gobble Gobble




Dang. Now I know why they called the bike race "Tough Love" up Mt. Tapochou. Not even your mama can help you! Call us insane to run up those steep gravel hills at 6 am on a Holiday but it was so much fun. My calves were on fire. We ran the Turkey Trot Race from Lower base to Capital Hill all the way up Mt. Tapochou on Thanksgiving Day. The run up was a killer but what a spectacular view from the top!

What I love most about training and doing these races is that you get to meet alot of cool people on the island. The sports community on Saipan is huge and I just love how active everyone is here. I've made friends from beach volleyball, scuba diving, soccer, swimming . . . you name it! It was good to see alot of familiar faces.

The Piersons and Moreno also came out to do the Turkey Trot. My only goal was to make it to the top alive! The song that kept me going was Till I Colapse by Eminem. Its a song about digging deep inside yourself and finding something that you thought you never had to give you that second wind. The run was tough but the reward was worth it: another stunning sunrise.
I think the Turkey Trot is a great tradition to keep up on Thanksgiving day. Back home in California my friends and I had the Turkey Bowl! A bunch of us would come together and play a friendly game of flag football before we all celebrated Thanksgiving with our families.


********Gobble Gobble*********

This year I got to celebrate Thanksgiving twice. Lunch at the Blaylocks and Dinner at the Maycocks. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for obvious reasons: great eats and having the chance to spend time with those you love and care about. Though I really miss my family back home in California I still am fortunate to have my Saipan family. Here's some pics of our dinner at the Maycocks. We had a yummy potluck dinner and the best pumpkin, cherry, and apple pies!








Here's some pics from my lunch at the Blalocks. Sara and Kelli made a traditional Thanksgiving meal from scratch and it was so yummy! I really loved Sara's home made cranberry apple sauce and the turkey was cooked to perfection. At the end of our meal we went around the table and talked about the things we were thankful for. Everyone had some heart felt thoughts and funny things to say. Love hanging out at the Blalocks because there is never a dull moment! Right, Harry?!





As I look back on this year I realize that I have so many things to be thankful for. Here's my list in no particular order:

My faithful flossing patients, for making me feel what I do matters.

My jack hammer Handy Dandy Cavitron tool, for helping me get this betel nut crap off my patient's teeth everyday. My hand would really die if I didn't have this tool. (Pictures taken with patient's consent. Look away if you can't stomach these pics)





My ipod, for helping me escape my daily grudges. Music does wonders.

The internet, for letting me explore and discover things and amazing sites that I never thought I'd ever get to experience.

My health, I'm so lucky to be able to do the things I love to do.

My family, for always being there. I'll be home soon.

Manang Janice, Angie, Mel, and Rae, for being my life lines.

AC, for helping me snooze at night.

Mandi Asian Spa, for the infinite pool that over looks the ocean.

Truoung's Viet Restaurant, for their yummy avocado smoothies.

Tre, for the best deep tissue massages.

Saipan SDA Youth, for lifting my spirits every week.

Friday Night Bible Study buddies, for your encouragement and your insights about a loving God that does exist.

Moretti, for making me smile and laugh everyday.

Scuba buddies, for being my guardian angels and experiencing a whole new world with me.

Java Joes, for your iced Chai drink.

Saipan, for her sunsets and sunrises that put my soul at ease.

7 comments:

Brit's Blog said...

Awww...beautiful post Bevecaba!

I miss you girl. I'm really happy to hear you are doing good.

So much to be thankful for :)

can't wait for you to visit. Please give me a call when you fly back :) I'd love to see you!

Sean said...

I'm thankful for you, Bev! You've really been a shining light here on Saipan. I'm glad you're here.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time over there! I can hear the excitement when I read your blog. I think one of the best Thanksgivings I ever had was there in Saipan. Oh, and I definitely miss Saipan and her sunsets. They often "put my soul at ease" too. =)

MamaGi said...

hi bev! it's me gina! love reading your blogs...just great to read about your experiences & journeys! take care & keep in touch!

Bev said...

Brit: We missed you this year for Turkey Dinner! See you soon!

Sean: I'm happy that we're friends=)

Steve: Miss you and Miwa.

Mamagi: Gina, I'm going to come visit and stay with you when I trek across Italy next year! So excited!

Brad Ruszala said...

bev, come on over and weigh in on my fluoride post!

Eric AppleJar said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Beverly! I actually spent it with Jeff, Eve, and some of your other cousins. I was on call at the hospital and my family had their shindig in LA. Miss ya!