Monday, September 29, 2008

Race Pains


Hmmm, what can I say?  Just when I think I'm wonder woman with invincible powers I am proven otherwise.  I am green with envy when running comes so natural to others.  I'm average and I have to work hard at it.  I knew training for a marathon would be challenging but I didn't think it would be this difficult.  I love the challenge though.

As the mileage starts to pile up I start to encounter annoying race pains like chaffing from my sports bra or tightness in my calves.  Worst I've started  to have some symptoms of runner's knee on my right side.  I went down to the the running center and picked up a band to help support my patella.  I ran with it today and felt pretty good with it on.  

This mornings 11 mile run with the Loma Linda Lopers kicked my butt.  I'm trying a new sports drink supplement called Accelerade.  It's supposedly better than drinking water or Gatorade on the long runs because it has a 4:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio.  So far I think it's giving me that extra kick for endurance.  

Since I'll be in San Francisco for job interviews next week I've decided to run the San Jose Rock and Roll Half Marathon.  (sigh) Wish me luck. 

4 comments:

Brit's Blog said...

I missed you last week :( I ran the 10 w/ the lopers. Where were you girl?

I'm proud of you! When you moving to San Fran?? Good luck with the half! YOu'll rock it!

Ken & Crystal Pierson said...

Go Bev! Have fun running the Rock and Roll Half! Yeah! Hopefully, that knee pain of yours goes away quickly! argh! We miss you! xo

Sean said...

This is why you're my hero, Bev. Keep on running!

Mai said...

I wish I could be there training with you! Keep it up!